The last general election in Turkey took place on 24 June 2018. Previously, elections in Turkey have always been Parliamentary but the election changed dynamics and transitioned from a parliamentary system to a presidential one, accepted by voters in the controversial 2017 constitutional referendum. That election resulted in a win for the present president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who had occupied the position since 2014.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
The Ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) for the first time lost its absolute majority in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey since June 2015, pushing it to rely on its coalition partner, the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) of Devlet Bahçeli, to pass legislation.
The Supreme Election Council announced the following election calendar for the 2023 presidential elections and the parliamentary elections.
- On March 18th, The Supreme Election Council announced the official start of the election cycle.
- On March 19th, Submission of candidacy applications to the Supreme Election Council started.
- On March 20th, the Independent presidential candidates started to apply until 17.00. Applications for each candidate was examined by the Supreme Election Council.
- On March 28th, the temporary list of presidential candidates and start of appeal applications was announced.
- On March 31st, the final list of presidential candidates was announced.
- On April 1st, ballot paper was presented to the presidential candidates.
- On April 12, registration of domestic and international voter registers was concluded.
- On April 27, voting procedures at customs gates and abroad commenced.
- On May 9th, Deadline for voting abroad.
- On May 13, election campaigning was concluded.
- On May 14, Voting day: Announcement of the temporary results of the presidential election at 23:59.
- On May 19, Announcement of the final election results by the Supreme Election Council.
Should in case the election takes a two-rounded form:
- Election campaigning for the second round of the presidential election will commence on 15th of May.
- Voting procedures at customs gates and abroad commences on 20th of May.
- Deadline for voting abroad is May 24th.
- 28th May is Voting day. Second round of the presidential election.
- Temporary results of the presidential election will be announced on 29th of May.
- Announcement of the final results of the presidential election will be June 1.
- Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, incumbent President of Turkey (2014-present), leader of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) Supported by People’s Alliance
- Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, leader of Republican People’s Party, leader of the opposition. He was announced the candidate by the opposition alliance “Table of Six” on the 6 March 2023 Supported by Nation Alliance, Labour and Freedom Alliance.
- Muharrem İnce, leader of the Homeland Party, candidate for president in 2018 (withdrawn)
- Sinan Oğan, former member of the parliament from MHP (2011–2015) (running as Independent). Supported by Ancestral Alliance
5 thoughts on “REPORTING! TURKISH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2023”
Nice post. I learn one thing more challenging on completely different blogs everyday. It would all the time be stimulating to learn content material from different writers and observe a little one thing from their store. I抎 desire to make use of some with the content on my blog whether or not you don抰 mind. Natually I抣l give you a link on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
I truly appreciate this post. I抳e been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again
Would you be eager about exchanging hyperlinks?
Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something again and aid others such as you aided me.
Hey! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!